Healthcare is a complicated system that includes unique economic processes, regulatory requirements, and quality indicators that are not found in traditional business settings. Therefore, developing unique skill sets relating to organizational leadership and interprofessional team development is essential for leaders within the healthcare industry at any level. As the complexity within the healthcare industry increases, it is important to understand the comprehensive approach to patient care management across the continuum and how the concepts of organizational leadership and team development support leaders in creating a patient-centric environment.
The purpose of this assessment is to provide a framework through which you can experience and understand the unique leadership concepts within healthcare and understand the implications of business and regulatory requirements in providing patient-centered care. You will use system theory, change theory, self-assessment approaches, and team development concepts to design a strategy to increase patient-centered care. Using leadership concepts and theories, you will ensure a sustainable model of healthcare delivery throughout the changing healthcare system that considers future trends, evidence-based practice, and regulatory expansion.
For this assessment, you will use the attached “Patient-and Family-Centered Care Organizational Self-Assessment Tool,” to analyze how patient- and family-centered the healthcare setting is. This form will guide you in evaluating this healthcare setting for strengths and weaknesses in patient-centered care attributes. Based on your analysis, you will create a strategy to bridge those areas and increase patient-centered care.
- Analyze how business practices, regulatory requirements, and reimbursement impact patient-centered care within a healthcare organization.
- B. Complete the attached “Patient-and Family-Centered Care Organizational Self-Assessment Tool” (PFCC) for a healthcare organization.
Note: The PFCC tool is a subjective tool used to assess the organization you have chosen.
- 1. Describe the healthcare setting you used in the PFCC (the population served and facility type)
- 2. Using the completed PFCC tool, describe the strengths and/or weaknesses of the organization for eachdomain.
- Identify onearea of improvement from the weaknesses identified in part B2.
- 1. Create a strategy to increase patient-centeredness in the organization by addressing the weakness from part C.
- a. Discuss how you would apply either system theory or change theory in the development of your strategy to address the chosen weakness.
- 2. Discuss the financial implications of implementing this strategy may have on the organization.
- 3. Discuss the methods you will use to evaluate the effectiveness of your strategy in increasing patient centeredness.
- D. Create a multidisciplinary team by identifying the following:
- potential members that will assist you in implementing the identified strategy
- The role of each team member
- 1. Discuss how cultural diversity within the team supports patient-centered, culturally competent care.
- 2. Using one of the leadership theories below, discuss the leadership style you would utilize in developing your team or identified strategy.
- transactional leadership
- transformational leadership
- emotional leadership
- traditional leadership
- 3. Discuss how the team will work together to collaboratively implement the strategy including team member and individual responsibility and is relevant to the weaknesses identified in the PFCC.
- 4. Describe how the team will communicate the identified strategy and intended outcomes to the healthcare organization.
- 5. Describe a specific tool you could use to develop the team’s self-assessment skills.
- Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.