- Truth-in-sentencing laws deter crime.
- Truth-in-sentencing laws do not deter crime.
Write a 350- to 700-word opening argument for each position, for a total of two arguments.
- Include scholarly references supporting your arguments.
Share opening arguments with the other group.
Write a 350- to 700-word rebuttal to the other group’s opening argument, for a total of two rebuttals.
- Include a closing statement.
- Include scholarly references supporting the rebuttal and closing statement.
Consider the following topics when drafting debate arguments and rebuttals:
- Good-time and work-time credits
- Requirements for length of time served
- Effect on crime deterrence and recidivism
- Differences between federal and state laws
- Effects if parole is eliminated
- Effects on prison population