Human Populations and the Environment
Assignment 4: Population Dynamics
In Weeks 2 and 3, you learned how humans make a significant impact on the environment and natural ecosystems. This week, you read about and research aspects of how humans impact the Earth’s environment and sustainability. Because of the limited resources to support populations in every country, developed and less-developed nations are beginning to develop policies and practices that will reduce population growth and allow for a sustainable future. In this Assignment, you will compare developed and less-developed nations and investigate how each is working toward population sustainability.
Questions about this assignment? Post them in the Ask the Instructor area under Course Home. That way, everyone in the class will see and benefit from the Instructor’s response.
To prepare for this Assignment:
• Review Chapters 5 and 6 in the course text, Environmental Science.
• Consider the concept of age structure (how many people in the population fit into the various age groups) and population dynamics.
• Select a country and research its age structure and population dynamics. You may choose the same country you are using for your Final Project or you may select a different country.
• Reflect on the possible futures of that country based on age structure and population dynamics. What will happen as the different age groups of this population change?
Compose a 2-page essay in which you analyze the age structure and population dynamics of your selected country. Your essay should include the following:
• A description of the age structure and population dynamics of your selected country
• An explanation of how these elements will impact the country as individuals transition into other age groups
• A conclusion that looks at the possible impact of these transitions on the environment and the world over the next 50 to 100 years