Human Services Foundational Knowledge
In all of your previous courses in this program, you have engaged with the ideas and approaches that comprise a professional background in human services. Have you had the opportunity to think about how all of your learning fits together? Could you readily explain how well prepared you are for each aspect of the human services role? One goal of this assignment is to prepare you to do that-with clarity and specific evidence-so that you are ready, for example, to address these questions in a job interview.
Write a three-part paper of approximately 9 pages that brings together three of the five key elements that lead to success in human services, represent the program outcomes of your degree, and align directly with the core competencies model of the National Organization for Human Services (NOHS):
· Models of Service Delivery (Part 1).
· Professional Competencies (Part 2).
· Effective Helping Relationships (Part 3).
Each part of this assignment requires that you revisit the key ideas in a particular area and demonstrate your mastery of those ideas.
In completing each part of this paper, draw upon your reading and discussions from your courses as well as any assignments you may have completed that would be helpful. Seek particularly to articulate your current understanding in these areas, regardless of what you may have written in earlier courses.
Review the case study, “Susan and Ted,” on pages 123-125 of your An Introduction to Human Services text. Pick a client from the case and analyze the case based on the areas identified below:
· SECTION 1: Models of Service Delivery (3 pages). Provide a summary of the case and the main issues that are present. What professional competencies might you need to address the issues you have identified? Address how you would work with the client using the Human Service Delivery Model described in the Woodside and McClam text. Your work should address the services that might be provided by professionals who practice the medical model, the public health model and the human services model. How can a Human Services professional facilitate the interaction of all three models in revolving the problems presented to your selected client?
· SECTION 2: Professional Competencies (3 pages). Analyze the case based on the strengths or weaknesses you identified through your self-assessments. Analyze how your results might impact your work with your selected client. Given what you know about yourself, the case and the client, is it possible to remain neutral? Explain your answer and provide an analysis of what you would recommend. Address any ethical or cultural concerns that might present when working with your selected client. What personal issues, values or biases might become concerns for you? How might you address these for yourself, so that you can function productively as a helping professional?
· SECTION 3: Effective Helping Relationships (3 pages). Pick two of the values discussed in the readings (Chapter 6, An Introduction to Human Services) that guide practice and address how they would guide your work with this case. In your analysis, clearly present your rationale for picking the values you have chosen.
· Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
· Number of resources: Your work should be supported by at least 5 references from the literature.
· Length of paper: 10 typed double-spaced pages.
· Font and font size: Arial, 10 point.
Submit your assignment by the end of this unit.
Portfolio Prompt: You may choose to save this learning activity to your ePortfolio, in the Professional Showcase binder.
Human Services Foundational Knowledge